Summary of latest relevant Government announcements - situation update 2nd April 2020
- To see the number of cases of COVID-19 in England and the UK visit the Public Health England dashboard.
- To see the number of cases globally see the World Health Organisation interactive map.
Latest Government advice and links
- The Department for Business, Enterprise and Industrial Strategy is encouraging businesses across England to contact their local Growth Hub, they can provide a free to use, impartial and local single point of contact to all businesses, so that they can access the right advice and support. The hubs can advise businesses on local and national business support including schemes in place to help businesses through the current COVID-19 situation. Find your local Growth Hub here
- The National Lottery Heritage Fund has put together a £50million fund to support the heritage sector as an immediate response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
- The £50m Heritage Emergency Fund will be available for grants of between £3,000 and £50,000. It is available to organisations across the full breadth of heritage, including historic sites, industrial and maritime heritage, museums, libraries and archives, parks and gardens, landscapes and nature.
- Organisations which have received funding in the past and are either a current grantee, or still under contract following a previous grant, can apply.
- Priority will be given where:
- there is limited or no access to other sources of support
- where heritage is most at risk
- where an organisation is at risk of severe financial crisis due to COVID-19
- Update to the guidance for local authorities setting out details of the Small Business Grants Fund (SBGF) and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund (RHLGF), outlining information on state aid, monitoring and reporting requirements, post payment checks, and the eligibility of charities. Also now available is the grant funding allocations by local authority.
- The Business rates: expanded retail discount – guidance has been updated to confirm that the government’s assessment that the expanded retail discount is not a state aid, and that local authorities should therefore award relief to all eligible properties.
- The 2020 National Living Wage comes into effect today (Wednesday 1 April), a 6.2% increase on the previous rate
Other travel measures, advice and updates
- COP26 conference, due to take place in Glasgow in November, has been postponed.
- The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) recently released a set of recommendations calling for urgent and strong support to help the global tourism sector. The recommendations fall into three key areas:
- Managing a crisis and mitigating the impact
- Providing Stimulus and Accelerating Recovery
- Preparing for Tomorrow
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Govenment Business Support Website here
A full range of business support measures have been made available to UK businesses and employees.
This page helps businesses find out how to access the support that has been made available, who is eligible, when the schemes open and how to apply.
TSE COVID -19 Business Support Page with useful links and practical advice here
Tourism South East continues to be the voice for the region, your business feedback on the current market is vital to maintain a rounded picture, allowing us to feedback at a national level. Please do keep us informed.