As you may know, VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar award, now in its eighth year, recognises and celebrates those in the tourism industry who go the extra mile to ensure tourists in England have an amazing and unforgettable visitor experience. Tourism Superstar nominees are passionate about where they work and the destination they live in and consistently set the bar high for the standard of service in England’s tourism industry.
VisitEngland would like to invite you to nominate an individual from your local area for the award. I know that some of you are already running your own competitions so just to ensure there are no clashes, and to give you an idea of timeframes, please see the following dates and deadlines:
- 14 December 2018: Deadline for nominations
- 21 December 2018 or before: The successful individuals and respective DMO’s will be informed they are in the top10 and that filming will take place during January 2019
- Between 7 January – 8 February 2019: The ten finalists will be filmed either in London or in their local area for the Mirror website – members of the public will then be able to watch the video and cast their votes and also for VistEngland’s ‘Faces of England films’ to be used on VisitEngland social channels both corporate and consumer
- 20 February – 3 April 2019: Drive to push voting on Mirror website
- 30 March – 7 April 2019: English Tourism Week
- 6 April 2019: Winner announced in Saturday’s Mirror
- During English Tourism Week from 30 March - 7 April 2019: All 10 Tourism Superstar finalists will be invited to attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 30 anniversary celebration in London date and venue TBC.
- The winner of VisitEngland’s Tourism Superstar 2019 will be invited to attend a lunch towards the end of April at a London restaurant. Nigel Thompson and a senior VisitEngland Executive will be present, date and venue TBC.
See the video of last year’s finalists on Mirror.co.uk: https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/uk-ireland/meet-finalists-2018-tourism-superstar-11992093
Please bear in mind that all nominees will need to be willing and able to attend the filming in London or in their locality during January and February 2019, sign a waiver for the film rights and attend the VisitEngland Awards event during English Tourism Week 2019, 30 March – 7 April date and venue TBC.
Last year the competition generated tens of thousands of votes and hundreds of pieces of media coverage as well as the national media exposure secured through the Daily Mirror partnership.
In addition to filming for the Mirror’s online voting we would like to create films of the 10 nominated superstars for use on our consumer channels to be ‘Faces of England’. These films will be used in the lead up to English Tourism Week but also beyond. All nominated individuals would have to agree to the filming and to the use of the films on our channels through the signing of a waiver.
I have attached a short form for you to fill in and send to me. Please also send a photograph and ensure the person nominated is willing to participate, and can travel to attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence celebration event during English Tourism Week 2019 30 March – 7 April date and venue TBC. Once the ten finalists are selected and informed of this they will be required to fill in and sign a waiver form to allow VisitEngland rights to the films we create.
To qualify the Tourism Superstar 2019 must:
- Work for a tourism business or organisation in England and continue to work for that organisation at the time of English Tourism Week
- Be knowledgeable and passionate about the destination they work in and happy to talk about the destination outside of their work remit
- Go above and beyond the call of duty to make a holiday experience to remember for visitors
- Be available and willing to travel to London during early January to be filmed and happy for that film to be posted on the Mirror website for a number of weeks
- Be available to attend the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence Celebration during English Tourism Week 2019 30 March – 7 April date and venue TBC.
- Be aware that they have been nominated and happy to participate in any related PR and media opportunities during or post the announcement of the winner
- The ten finalists will be required to fill in and sign a waiver form to allow VisitEngland rights to the films we create.
Please send your nomination no later than 14th December 2018. A short-list of 10 will be announced to you by the end of December with more details on the filming. VisitEngland will of course let you know as soon as the short list is confirmed if your nomination is included.
More information on Tourism Superstar 2019 and how it will work:
- The ten shortlisted candidates will be filmed either in London or in their local area in January and early February 2019. Their mini films (30 seconds max) will be posted on www.mirror.co.uk from 20 February – 3 April 2019 where the public will be able to vote for their favourite finalist. They will essentially have between 10 and 30 seconds to say why they should be the Tourism Superstar 2019. The dates for individual filming will be agreed and confirmed as soon as possible
- There will also be longer films created of the 10 finalists for use on VistEngland’s channels both consumer and corporate. The superstars will be filmed going about their daily roles as tourism ambassadors as tourism ‘Faces of England’. The finalist will need to fill in and sign a waiver form for this
- The Mirror will publicise the online voting mechanism online and in the paper throughout the campaign and via Twitter
- VisitEngland will promote the campaign via its various channels including consumer channels
- Readers will vote on which Tourism Superstar they think should win
- The most successful candidates in the past have been supported by robust destination led media and social media campaigns throughout the voting process
- The finalists will be invited to attend VisitEngland Awards for Excellence Celebration during English Tourism Week 2019 30 March – 7 April date and venue TBC
- The winner will be invited to attend a Lunch in London towards the end of April with Nigel Thompson and a senior VisitEngland Executive, date and venue TBC
Please support English Tourism Week and nominate your Tourism Superstar! We look forward to receiving your nominations. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Cick here for the submission form.
Thank you to Charlotte Sanders - Senior Press Officer - VisitBritain/VisitEngland for supplying the information